Remember Captain Planet?
He used to look SO much better on TV.

I used to LOVE old-school Cartoon Network. Little(r) people these days have absolute rubbish to watch on TV. Does anyone else remember when Toonami used to be just a one-hour slot at 5:00 and everyone used to rabidly collect Pikachu tazos or whatever?
I grew up with Cartoon Network being aired from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and then TNT used to take over, and I used to believe it was 'big people TV'. And in any case, I used to be too sleepy to even try and protest in order to watch it.
And then TNT got shifted to 10:00 p.m. and then it just went away. Just around the time I was old enough to stay up to watch it. Bummer.
And look at "CN" now. There's no Powerpuff Girls, or Dexter's Laboratory ("OOH! WHAT DOES THIS BUTTON DO?!"), or even that annoying show called Ed, Edd and Eddie. Hell, even Dragonball Z has gone off air. And Tom and Jerry is aired as fillers. All the little(r) people watch is Digimon, Pokemon, some other Beyblade thing, and pseudo-anime crap.
Old-school Nickelodeon was so much more brilliant. There used to be the old version of 'All That', (the one with Lori Beth, not Jamie Lynn Spears), and the Kenan and Kel Show, and Hey! Arnold, and the Rugrats (before Dil was born, but even after Dil and Chuckie's half-sister Kimmie, the show was pretty fun). And then there was Legends of the Hidden Temple. Nickelodeon even had that cool "Nick-ell-oh-dee-yun!" theme tune, and they used to air Clarissa, which was so majorly cool. (Who else wishes they had a friend like Sam who would climb up to your window using a ladder instead of the door? \m/, I say.)

Now everything is translated to Hindi, and even if it's not, Drake and Josh is about the only normal thing that 'Nick' airs anymore.
I miss being a kid. And I miss old-school cartoons. And even though I used to laugh my ass off at that dweeb Ma-ti who had "Heart!" as a power on Captain Planet, I would give anything to catch a real re-run and have one day of the cartoons as I knew it.

4 Comments:

  1. Doubletake, Doublethink. said...
    This has GOT to be one of my favourite blog posts of all time by any blogger. I LOVED CN. i loved it so much that i watched every darn cartoon on it from looney tunes in the morning to those five-minute things in the middle (the birdmaaaaaaaaan ones). i even watched sheep in the big city. and then i watched nickelodeon all day too, and wanted to get on figure it out someday =(

    i hate the wide-eyed japanese variety they show now. bah. and i love love love this post, i think i'll go away and weep a little now. :'(
    VelocityGirl (tm) said...
    Thank you. And you made me so nostalgic I posted about Nick in detail. Will talk about 'CN' later, I'm too bummed. =[
    Anushka said...
    you eachoed my thoughts exactly. I miss X-Men and Extreme Ghostbusters. And I remember how my favourite character was always the female. I was so feminist. Still sorta am.
    Stropko said...
    Gahhhh, old school Nickelodeon makes me happy. I just watched an old Hey Arnold! the other day. It was sheer amazingness (and yes, I know it's not a word. I use it anyway for emphasis).

Post a Comment