A little more reminiscing, because I don't think I covered it all in the last post. Besides, I really really miss this stuff.
Here's the stuff I remember watching on Nickelodeon. I refuse to call it "Nick". We never called it Nick. I don't know Nick. I never did know Nick. It's NICK-ELL-OH-DEE-YUN!


Hey! Arnold
. I used to watch this in Class Three, and I used to pine because Arnold was a year older. And then when I came to Class Five, I used to laugh my ass off because I was now older than Arnold. Do you remember Helga's shrine for Arnold? Of course you do.


Clarissa. Like I said, I grew up wishing I had a friend like Sam who would enter my room by climbing up to my window instead of walking in through the door like regular best friends. Ah Sam. Ah Clarissa. Ah Love.

Legends of the Hidden Temple. I always rooted for the Blue Barracudas because they had a kick-ass name, but then again, the highlight of the show was ALWAYS The Shrine of the Silver Monkey. And EVERYONE mucked up in there. It was wonderful. Although Tolmec was a little disturbing.

The Rugrats. If there was a show that ever made anyone want to regressively metamorphose in
to infants again, then it would be the Rugrats. You had to love their childish antics and the crazy imagination. You just HAD to hate Angelica, and you HAD to love Susie, and you HAD to admire Tommy. And you just HAD to melt each time Dil said "Mine!" or called Tommie "Bobo."

Don't know if everyone caught "As Told By Ginger", which came a little later. It was around the time Nickelodeon was phasing out of the Good Ol' Days, but Ginger sort of kept it afloat. It was typically teeny-bopper, but we were typically teeny-bopper too, and Ginger lived all of our klutzy and confused pre-teen/teenage lives.

I could go on forever, but I should stop, yes? But if you're looking to the past, spare a thought for the present. Nickelodeon has changed to Nick, and the shows are still pretty much the same, some of them. Nick's greatest asset till now remains the Spongebob Squarepants Show. While I do love Spongebob, he was never my favourite. I didn't even complain when they overhauled the cast of All That Show, removing Lori Beth (who always made me feel good about being tubby back then) and adding Jamie Lynn Spears to the cast. Drake and Josh is laugh-a-minute, but it's also forget-in-a-minute. To top it all off, they've translated the whole signal to Hindi. (Aah!) And you don't even have Blue's Clues anymore. (Yes, I used to watch it sometimes. I loved figuring out Blue's Clues, and I knew the end credits song perfectly.)
GIVE ME MY TV BACK, "NICK!"

8 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I once caught Blue's CLues a month ago when i was flipping channels at 3 in the morning. so.


    Blue Barracudas? They were such losers! It's RED JAGUARS ALL THE WAY!
    CheshireCat said...
    Chanced upon this blog and couldn't help commenting, since these were all once my favourite shows.
    *sighs about the good ol' days of teevee*
    My favourite was The Legends of the Hidden temple.I thought the Head was called Olmec. Or was it Tolmec?
    Purple parrots and Silver Snakes were my favourites, though.
    VelocityGirl (tm) said...
    Tolmec. I had to google for the pictures, and I read someplace it was Tolmec. *shrugs*
    DOES NO ONE ELSE THINK THE BARRACUDAS WERE COOL?
    Doubletake, Doublethink. said...
    hey arnold. love.

    but my absolutest favouritest show was the wild thornberrys. i have no idea why, no one else liked it, but i HAD to catch every single episode or i'd feel very lost. i just thought it really cool that this girl with a pet monkey called darwin could talk to animals. sigh.
    Sahana said...
    Oh YEA! The Wild Thornberries! Her dad was SO funny. And Debbie, and their Mom. And that JUNGLE KID, OMG!!!
    speedpost said...
    all i can say is thank you. From every blogger who has ever loved and lost the jetsons and flintstones and tom and jerry. Have you heard the ridiculous spongebob hindi song...

    "Samundar ke neeche, pineapple ke ghar mein

    SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS"

    I think a part of me died the day I heard this...
    VelocityGirl (tm) said...
    Speedpost,
    It's not SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS, in Hindi.
    It's actually
    SPONGEBOB CHAUKHAD-KACHCHA.
    29A said...
    It really is a pity that we have a habit of contorting and distorting everything and anything to make it (presumably) more suited to our local and regional tastes, without realizing that we are stripping it of its very essence in the process.

    The day the the boardroom loonies decided to implement this most undesirable change was the day when suddenly I found out that I'd grown up, because it was impossible for me to relate to the darned shows anymore.

    And I really don't like being all grown up. :(

    And the barracudas rocked. Because they were BLUE. So there.

Post a Comment